Friday, November 16, 2012

more of my favorite Canadian things

0 comments


favorite Canadian singer/songwriter - Neil Young

Although I must confess to having only listened to 3 of Young's incredibly vast catalog of albums (After The Gold RushRust Never Sleeps and Live Rust), those 3 albums are definitely among my favorite albums of all time.  I also much prefer Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young to Crosby, Stills & Nash (another band that I discovered thanks to my late parents).


favorite Canadian hardcore punk band - Youth Brigade

Although Youth Brigade is technically from California, the 3 founding members (brothers Shawn, Mark and Adam Stern) were born in the Great White North.  The band has been together for over 30 years (pretty much unheard of in the hardcore punk world) and is still going strong to this day.  Great band.  Click here to check 'em out.


favorite Canadian television producer - Lorne Michaels

Michaels is not only the producer of Saturday Night Live, he's also the creator of it.  In short, he all but discovered Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Dana Carvey, Chris Rock, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Fred Armisen, etc. etc. etc. etc.


favorite Canadian actor to go from terrible to terrific - Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in Star Wars Episodes II and III

The very first time that I saw Star Wars Episode II was also the very first time that I was actually disappointed with a Star Wars movie (also my favorite movies of all time, by the way) and a big part of the reason why was Christensen's (and Natalie Portman's) positively dreadful acting performance in it.  However, in my not so humble opinion, Christensen absolutely redeemed himself in Star Wars Episode III and made it arguably (VERY arguably) the best Star Wars movie in the franchise.  Bring on the hate email.


favorite Canadian septuagenarian (a person between the ages of 70 to 79 - yes, I googled it) - Donald Sutherland

Sutherland has literally been a staple of both my entire childhood and my entire 20s.  Way, way too many great movies either starring or co-starring him to list.  In addition to that, the man is just the epitome of cool.  If I'm fortunate enough to live as long as he has and I'm considered even a tad bit as cool as he is, I'll absolutely be able to die happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Clairvo